Kilmatogh

Place to discuss the Kilmatogh Community and its strange disappearance.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Mystery starts here!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 6 of 10]

126 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:18 pm

J.Howey

Admin
Welcome aboard y'all. We can meet up Saturday morning at 10am in Blackross on Castle Street, does everyone know it? PM me your mobile numbers, so I can make the arrangements.

View user profile http://kilmatogh.simplesite.com

127 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:19 pm

Menfolk! Why are they the ones that always have to to head into the danger zone? Must be a primative instinct!

View user profile

128 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:21 pm

No, it's because we're crazy capers, just like Batman and Robin-hood!
lol!

View user profile

129 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Let us know how it goes, guys, blow-for-blow (I'd like to live it vicariously), okay?

View user profile

130 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:30 pm

J.Howey

Admin
You bet, Mary! Stay tuned!

131 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:32 pm

J.Howey

Admin
SusanaB wrote:I hope you'll post the chapters on here so we can all read them and maybe give you some helpful feedback?
I've got the Introduction of the book drafted, have a read  here and tell me what you/s think of it. Cheers.

132 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:48 pm

J.Howey wrote: tell me what you/s think of it. Cheers.
Good start, John. Looking forward to reading more. One point; where you write in the second last paragraph: "...the story of the XUAL Community remains an important moment in local history, with value (or warning) to later times." This warning you are referring to, do you mean its disastrous demise at the hands of the local authorities or something else? Keep up the good work!

View user profile

133 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:17 am

J.Howey

Admin
And we're back! Well, most of us. I'm in a state of shock, actually.....Really not too sure what to type....my brain is frozen or on pause....I'm just going to keep typing until it makes sense to me or some semblance of what happened comes out....so, I'll start at the beginning:
Dan, Frank, Tom and I, met up in town like we arranged. We took my car out to where the bog lane began, I parked up and we made our way on foot to the bog. We walked across the bog to the 'bull idol' and climbed onto its wooden base or platform and went down its hinged trapdoor in the platform, down a few wooden steps to the ground, inside the idol's base.
We remembered to bring flashlights with us with new batteries (and some back-up batteries, just in case), so we turned the lights on and proceeded one-at-a-time down the squalche and slightly slippery earthen steps to the underground stone tunnel, thirty feet below ground level.
Actually, I need to take a break...maybe a cup of brandy or something to warm me up...I'll come back and finish this later.

134 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:27 am

Oh my God, John, what's the matter with you? Did something bad happen? Are you alright?

View user profile

135 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:09 pm

No, he's not alright, neither am I. We lost Dan Coburn. One minute he was there with us; walking and breathing heavy (as old people seem to do when taxed with a bit of exersion), then the next he was gone! Just like that: 'Puff!'
We didn't hear him yell or call out. No sign of him. Total silence. Total darkness. No footsteps leading away on the dusty talcum power covered floor. ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOTHING! It was like he was there and then 'zssssspt!' he was gone like a popped bubble.
We searched and searched, calling out his name. But it's like a goddam maze down there...and it was cold! So, so cold! Our fingertips were numb with the cold holding the torches.
We spend hours searching through the corridors and huge collinades and big rooms and small rooms and open galleries and steps leading down and steps leading up. We got turned around so many times I began to think I was lost in one of those Escher drawings -Treppenhaus or Relativität- and the others started panicking too with the disorientation and lack of progress.
I said to them as calmly as I could: “I think Dan doubled back and is probably waiting for us on the idol's platform.” It was a lie; I didn't really think that. But it seemed like the right thing to say, something hopeful after as such a loss.
We made our way back to the entrance and there was no sign of Dan near the bull idol. John went back to his car to see if Dan was waiting there, but returned a few minutes later to say that he wasn't there either. We took a few moments to warm up. It was about 6pm and the day was still warm (compared to the frigid underworld we'd just climbed out of).
Then, reticently, we decided to go back down into that hell hole again and continue the search for Dan. There was some hope he may have found his way back to the upper levels of the complex.
No such luck!
After a while John started freaking out and shaking all over (from the fear or the cold, I'm not too sure which) and I knew he wasn't doing well. Frank was going into shock too but he was not as bad as John. So, we called it quits. We were utterly beaten!
We made it back to the entrance in what seemed like a daze. When we were on the platform with the beautiful starry night sky above us, the idea of going back down into that god awful underworld was fucking unimaginable. I looked at my watch, it was 1:40 am for christsakes! Where did the whole day go?! We started out at 2pm and spent twelve hours walking, my legs were ready to fall off me.
There was a silent concensus to walk back to John's car and we drove back into town. Frank stopped shaking and John straightened himself out. Maybe that was what they needed to do at that time. None of us spoke a word, this is the first I've talked (or typed) since losing Dan. I felt bad about leaving him behind, alone down there....

View user profile

136 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Oh, no! I knew something bad would happen if you went down there and I was right! Did you phone the police and tell them what's happened?

View user profile

137 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:01 pm

I share Tom and John's sentiments about losing Mr Dan Coburn. I went to the Guard's this morning and they told me to give it another 24 hours before reporting a person missing. (I didn't mention where Dan went missing, mind, as I believe John pointed out on another thread that tresspassing on archaeological sites is illegal.)

View user profile

138 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Jesus guys, you can't leave him for another 24 hours just to satisfy the dumb coppers! He's an old man, god only knows what he's going through alone down there. He could be lying on the floor with a broken hip or something, for all you know! What would his wife think about that? How would she react if she found out? Have you told her yet?

View user profile

139 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:05 pm

No, I haven't told his wife, not that I'd know her from Eve since I've never met the woman! But I'm in absolute agreement with you Mary, I'm not going to leave him there to wait another 24 hours before going to the police who will probably take another day to organise a search party. That's totally unreasonable in my book.
Now, I've called my friends, the ones who are experts at exploring Souterrains and they've agreed in short order to go on an emergency rescue mission to find Mr Coburn. They're coming over in about three hours time with all the safety equipment they need to survive several days down there (if necessary). I called John and Tom and they're coming back down with me to act as guides for my friends. I'll post back on here when we get back. Wish us luck!

View user profile

140 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:08 pm

You guys are crazy! But I hope you find him and bring him back safely.

View user profile

141 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:13 pm

Frank, I wish you and your team all the luck in the world. You'll find him, I just know it.

View user profile

142 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:02 am

I wonder how the rescue attempt is going? No word yet from John, Tom or Frank?

View user profile

143 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:42 pm

My rescuers succeded, I am safe! Forgive me if, in trying to put down what happened in writing I err in saying too much or too little, but I am quite upset and unnerved by all that has happened the past few nights in that terrible underground place. I find it difficult even to type; my hands shake so much that they're not under my control half the time. I tremble just at the memory of the horrors I saw with my own eyes.

As a young boy, I knew of the legends of "Worm Ditch", whose earthenwork can be found in remnants running from County Leitrim, north County Longford, County Cavan, County Monaghan and County Fermanagh. It takes its name from the local folklore that says the ditch was made by a huge worm.

A glance at a geological map will show you whatever truth there is of the actuality of such a monster in the early geological periods, at least here there is plenty of possibility. For example, in Cavan and Leitrim there were originally vast plains of bog where streams could gather, deep and slow. And holes of abysmal depth, where any kind and size of antidiluvian monster could find a habitat. And there were mudholes a hundred or more feet deep.

Just imagine such a monster anywhere in this country and at once you could get the sort of idea of the "worms" which possibly frequented the great morasses that spread round the mouths of many of the great rivers of Ireland. Who can tell when the age of the monsters which flourished in slime came to an end? Of those places and conditions which made for greater longevity, greater size, greater strength than was usual? Even now, there are creatures of a predigious bulk regarded by the experts as impossible; like the giant squid or the Megamouth shark, bigger than a double-decker bus.

Who knew in that place of utter coldness, a creature - a veritable legend of vast size and power - could dwell and underlie the land and respire a noxious gas - both flammable and can render a man devoid of his reason? I certainly didn't. I shall see it forever in my dreams; that creature, that gigantic worm, whose slumbering body dwells in the deep vast cavern under the temple and may in the days to come destroy the world when it awakes.

View user profile

144 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:08 pm

DanTheMan wrote:My rescuers succeded, I am safe! [......] Who knew in that place of utter coldness, a creature - a veritable legend of vast size and power - could dwell and underlie the land and respire a noxious gas - both flammable and can render a man devoid of his reason? I certainly didn't. I shall see it forever in my dreams; that creature, that gigantic worm, whose slumbering body dwells in the deep vast cavern under the temple and may in the days to come destroy the world when it awakes.
Oh, it's great that you've been rescued safe and well, but you sound a little different. Have you seen the "Beast" of the bog? Is that what has you disturbed? And where are the others?

Last edited by Marychristmas on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

145 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Gone, all gone! I shall eternally see their faces as the malignant eyes in the dark threw them into that well-hole at the bottom of the last level of the upside-down pyramid. When they sank into the hole, I was rushing to the upper levels, and I heard their soul-sickening yells, which marked their disappearance in the chasm beneath. I was more glad than I can say that my eyes were spared the pain and horror which my ears had to endure.

When I tore myself away, as my rescuers sank into the well-hole, I realised what freedom meant. Freedom! Freedom! Not only from that cold dark prison, which is still a painful memory, but from the more terrifying embrace of that hideous monster worm. Whilst I live, I shall thank them for my liberty. I must live on -as I have lived - and in addition, bear with my woes the memory of their loss.

In the meantime, I must get away as quickly as possible from Kilmatogh bog and Blackross (where I've stayed in a b&b last night). I think a week in the rush of busy Dublin city, surrounded with multitudes of commonplace people will help soften -but I cannot expect total obliteration - the terrible images of the past few nights in my mind. When I can sleep easily - which will be, I hope, very soon - I will be fit to return to Leitrim and take up again the burden of telling the rest of the story (which I suppose will always be horrific for me).

View user profile

146 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm

OMG! Dan, don't go! Tell us what happened! Tell us where the others are!

View user profile

147 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:55 am

Oh, good Lord! Dan has gone mental, hasn't he? He was exposed for too long to the bog gas! I told them that gas from the bog was probably what drives people mad....and I was right! I'm going to call the police and let them handle this! I don't care if tresspassing on archaeological sites is illegal and they could get arrested for it, but I think their safety is more important.

View user profile

148 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:24 pm

Did you phone the Guards? What did they say?

View user profile

149 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 pm

I did. Over the phone, they said a search for the men in that area might involve up to 20 gardaí and army personnel, heavy plant equipment, and metal detectors. For this reason - and because the land is owned by the County Council - they'd have to get permission from the necessary authorities. They didn't give an estimate on how long it would take to begin the search (but I'm guessing a few days or possibly even a week).

View user profile

150 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:45 pm

Well, Frank mentioned his friends have the equipment which would allow them to survive for a good few days if necessary, so, all we can do is wait and hope for the best.

View user profile

151 Re: The Mystery starts here! Today at 1:20 am

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum