Kilmatogh

Place to discuss the Kilmatogh Community and its strange disappearance.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Mystery starts here!

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 11]

151 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:08 am

J.Howey

Admin
Hold off on calling the cops, Susana. We're out and alive!

Last edited by J.Howey on Wed May 31, 2017 6:12 pm; edited 3 times in total

View user profile http://kilmatogh.simplesite.com

152 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:17 am

No thanks to that old nutcase, DanTheMan Coburn! Boy, he's gone as screwy as that archaeologist did, what's his face... Broadbent?

View user profile

153 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:08 am

Thank goodness you gents are alive and well! Old Dan told us you were “Gone, all gone!” down some “well-hole” in the temple or other. I phoned the Guards straight away and told them you are alright and to call off the search for you. It was lucky I checked the forum before going to bed, otherwise I wouldn't have seen your posts to tell them. (But, as a warning, the Guards may want to talk to you about trespassing on government property).

View user profile

154 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:35 pm

It's a relief to see you posting on the forum again, guys! Dan was going on about giant worms, it was like we entered an episode of the Twilight Zone here! What happened down there?

View user profile

155 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Kidrotten wrote:DanTheMan Coburn! Boy, he's gone as screwy as that archaeologist did, what's his face... Broadbent?
It must be that lunar dust in the ancient temple?! Heh, makes people loony if you breath enough of it in.

View user profile

156 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:53 pm

J.Howey

Admin
I haven't the least doubt, Mary, that there were giant worms as Dan has spoken about, especially under Kilmatogh bog were such things could lay dormant undisturbed for centuries and give rise to legends and folklore. But alas, we didn't see any such creatures ourselves. As you know, four days ago our team ventured down under the bull idol on a rescue mission to find Dan. We crept into that underground labyrinth a long way from the warm light of day. The beams of our flashlights scratching at nothing but the invariant blackness. In fact, our creep into that place resembled the eerie faith required for any deep sea exploration. We wore climbing harnesses and respirators provided by Frank's professional spelunking friends (without whose help and expertise we probably never would have returned to the surface).

[We were fully equipped, thank's to Frank's friends]

Led by our spelunking experts and forming a walking train (for safety purposes we were connected by a 16-strand hi-visibility climbers line through a tungsten metal clip on our harnesses) we descended through the eerie lunar-grey limestone corridors and steep steps. Only the images from the 1956 archaeological dig captures the real monochromatic “otherness” inherent in the place.
The heavy respirator devices we wore on our backs (provided to us by Frank's friends) filtered out any particulate matter we kicked up as we walked and any toxic gases we might encounter in the temple. We kept our focus on the floor ahead of us because we couldn't assume it didn't open up into some deep fissure suddenly. I was then the immutable silence rushed in to replace what had momentarily shattered it. We all froze, unsure whether or not we'd really heard somebody calling out.
“We should find out what that was,” I said. “It could've been Dan.”
We trudged deeper into the guts of the inverted pyramid guessing where the sound had came from and equally apprehensive about what we might find once we got there -at the bottom!

Last edited by J.Howey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:41 pm; edited 4 times in total

157 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Unfortunately, that was when old crazy Dan jumped out at us and pushed the leader of our walking train right over the rim of this gaping hole at the bottom of the temple [see picture http://beastbog.webs.com/well-hole.jpg] and we went toppling right in after him because we were tied together!
If it weren't for Douglas (one of Frank's friends), who hammered pitons (or steel pins that our safety line was tied to) in seams in the stone floor ocassionally as we walked along (to act as anchors to protect us against the consequences of a falling into a crevasse), we would have tumbled down - how far, God knows?- and had a nasty hit when we reached the bottom of that hole.

View user profile

158 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:54 pm

Kidrotten wrote:If it weren't for Douglas (one of Frank's friends), who hammered pitons (or steel pins that our safety line was tied to) in seams in the stone floor .... we would have tumbled down - how far, God knows?- and had a nasty hit when we reached the bottom of that hole.
Good grief! How did you manage to get out of that awful pickle? I'm imagining all of you dangling like so many hooked fish on a fisherman's line (if you excuse the imagery, I have a vivid imagination, don't you know?!).

View user profile

159 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:34 pm

I can tell you, Susana; we used a foot ascender device that secures the rope between the climber's boots. This is one of the professional arborist's climbing gadgets. The device attaches to your foot and to the rope. It will allow the rope to slide through in only one direction: Raise your foot, and the device advances upwards; stand up on it and the device locks in place. We were all kitted with one by my friends and this allowed us to climb back up the rope and get to to the ledge.  Unfortunately, when we were all up safely, Dan had ran off.
I see from reading his posts above he's left for Dublin. I'd like to tell the Guard's what he's capable of doing; he's become a danger to others (from whatever that drove him nuts!)

View user profile

160 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Thank you, Frank. You and your friends have really pulled through for the rest of the members. Shows just what professionals can do in a pinch, I'm only sorry it turned out less of a rescue and more of a survival mission.

View user profile

161 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:24 pm

No need to be sorry, it was our folly that brought us down there in the first place. It was our folly that brought Dan down there too and made him nuts. Yet, I have to wonder why WE didn't succumb to the madness that chose him. I fear it's a ghastly mystery which has no bottom and no end.

View user profile

162 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:09 am

So, John, are you back at writing your book? How goes it? Any more chapters you want to show us?

View user profile

163 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:17 am

J.Howey

Admin
SusanaB wrote:John, are you back at writing your book? How goes it?
Yes, I'm still writing, Susana. Thanks for asking! I have the first chapter complete, if you want to review it?
I mean I'd welcome any feedback or critique you or the others might have after reading it. You can find Chapter One here: https://www.scribd.com/document/324353394/Chapter-One

Last edited by J.Howey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

164 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:14 am

That's great, John, keep up the good work! (I'm a little surprise you're up so late; I thought I was the only one with insomnia! Isn't it so bright outside with that big harvest moon in the sky? Wow!)

View user profile

165 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:50 am

J.Howey

Admin
I can't sleep actually because I've been having nightmares. Ever since I went down that "Cyclopean" inverted pyramid when Dan went missing that time, I just haven't been feeling like my old self. Upon going to bed, I've had strange dreams, such very strange dreams, of being lost in a maze of hieroglyphic covered walls and massive stone pillars, and from some deep undetermined point below comes this rumbling voice that is not a voice; but brings with it a chaotic sensation latent with malice. I've no idea how to interpret these dreams other than them being nocturnal gibberish.

Last edited by J.Howey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

166 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:58 am

Oh dear! It's important to determine what's causing your nightmares if they're interrupting your sleep on a regular basis and are causing you significant distress.
The subjects of nightmares vary from person to person. But if you've gone through a traumatic event, such as an attack or accident, like the one you've experienced when you went to rescue Dan, you may be having recurrent nightmares about that experience.
I'm no expert but if you're having them regularly, it could be a symptom of untreated sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome. You should consult a medical professional about it.

View user profile

167 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:18 pm

J.Howey wrote:I'd welcome any feedback or critique you or the others might have after reading it.
Good to see you're back to writing your famous book. I have a few suggestions after reading it, since you've asked: In the second paragraph you might want to capitalise 'planning authority' as you've done it later on, just to keep it consistent. Secondly, do you have any evidence more than just rumour that Jennings was Cassin's girlfriend? I think you are walking on ice when you're relying on hearsay.
Thirdly, in the third last paragraph you start off with "Oddly enough, you won’t find Kilmatogh on any modern map of County Leitrim. That is because it has disappeared." I think this should be corrected as it didn't "disappear" but was destroyed by fire, as we've learned in this forum. I think you should start that paragraph with the line "Sometime during the night of August 3rd, 1982,.." and remove those first two sentences altogether from that paragraph. Anyway, these are just my suggestions. Take them or leave them, it's up to you.

View user profile

168 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:46 am

J.Howey

Admin
Those are good suggestions, Mary. Thanks very much. I'll make the changes in the final draft.

Last edited by J.Howey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

169 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:55 am

J.Howey wrote:I can't sleep actually because I've been having nightmares. Ever since I went down that "Cyclopean" inverted pyramid...
I've been having nightmares too since we first when down into that temple. But my dreams are starting to bleed into my waking hours. Let me explain that a little; I work in a hardware store and just yesterday my boss asked me to get paint out of storage and put it on the shelf for customers in the store.
Now, we've got tonnes and tonnes of tins of paint but they're all down in the basement where the lightbulb is blown and nobody has bothered to replace it for the past month.
So, I leave the basement door open to let some light into the room and all of a sudden I have this strange feeling I'm not alone. Something bad is near me and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Then, as if this were a grim prelude, shit really starts to happen to me. The door closes and I'm shrouded in darkness. Then I get this weird smell like fresh blood, I don't know how I know it's fresh blood, but I do. That's when I notice these eyes staring at me from the corner of the room.
I'm caught in there, I know I must run, but I can't seem to move. The more I struggle to move the more those eyes notice me. Then unexpectedly they lunge forward with murderous speed - eyes full of hate - and I scream a howl at the top of my lungs. The door swings open and it's my boss. He heard me yelling like crazy - and the light from the hall streams into the room again. I realize that there's nothing there and I'm looking at shadows and neatly stacked shiny metal paint tins.
I can move again and the terror I felt so strongly a moment ago rapidly dissapates. My boss however, looks scared shitless.
"Jesus Tom," he says, "what the fuck's going on in here?"
"I think I shat myself," I say and make my apologies that I have to use the staff toilet.
He takes that to mean I'm alright, that I didn't injure myself on the property and that I wouldn't be suing him. So he goes away and everything is normal again...at least for now. Messed up, right?

View user profile

170 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:42 pm

J.Howey

Admin
That, my friend, is messed up. Have you taken any drugs, like hallucinogens? Left a drink unattended that someone could've spiked without your knowing? Cause if not, you could be just going crazy! lol

Last edited by J.Howey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

171 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 am

Nope, I don't do drugs (that I'm currently aware of) and I didn't go out over the weekend, so haven't been drinking anything that someone could've spiked. That only leaves me going crazy right? lol
If I'm having nightmares and your having them, I wonder if Frank is having them too? After all, he went down the temple with us without a mask on the first time.

View user profile

172 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:31 am

Yep, I'm also getting them, Tom. Even the hallucinations. Some nights ago while asleep in bed, I had heard footsteps, but I was too far gone to be woken up by them. When I did awoke, it wasn't from the sound of footsteps, but the feeling of cold air and shivering.
I caught a whiff of peat mould and as I opened my eyes, the clashing of what I expected to see – what I had nearly always seen when I woke up in my bedroom – and what I actually saw before me, frustrated my senses as my mind tried to reconcile my expectations with actuality. I saw, or rather my mind showed me, floating points of light in darkness -stars- and the jagged, crossing limbs of the tall trees that arched across them high up in the sky. I was in a bog with trees around me, I realized.
I shouldn't be here, I thought.
I sat up immediately and tried to make sense of how I got here. I thought I was dreaming, but that didn't seem right, though neither did me being in the bog. My eyes were slowly adjusting to the limited light, and gradually the trunk of trees and the shape of overgrown bushes began to take form. I scanned over the foliage without really focusing on any of it as I searched for something I might recognize – something that might give me some indication of exactly where I was.
An unnatural shape caught my eye and as I looked at it for what felt like a very long time, I finally discerned what it was. About twenty feet in front of me, crouched silently among a mass of tangled bushes and brambles, was a young boy staring back at me. He was naked, thin and unnaturally grey-skinned. He didn't move but stayed motionless like a statue. Even after I understood what I was looking at, I continued looking, trying to figure out why he was there. This only added to the surreal feeling of the experience, to the point that I was sure I was dreaming rather than awake in the real world.
After a while, though, it seemed like I just wasn't going to wake up, because, I wasn't asleep. So, I stood up to orientate myself, but as I stood the seemingly still figure of the boy suddenly launched itself at me. As I raised my arm to defend myself, I received a quick sharp, pain like the boy had bitten me with sharp teeth. I opened my mouth to scream and felt the air hitch in my throat like my mouth was blocked and the air couldn't escape.
I heard the voice of a woman and then the lights came on around me almost blinding me. And it was as if the terrifying scene in the woods just fled away from my vision to be replaced by my bedroom. I stood their biting my own goddam arm like some maniac and my partner was telling me to stop it and sit back down on the bed. She went to the kitchen to make some soothing tea and that was when I started crying like a child.
I knew I had been hallucinating, because when I was a teenager in the sixties, I dropped acid and smoked some dope like all the other cool kids (you two guys probably weren't born so you wouldn't know what I'm talking about), but I had to stop all of that because I was getting bad trips and nightmares when I went to bed. I also got anxiety attacks during the day (much like Kidrotten said he did at work). After I stopped, and after a while, they went away.
I told my friends what had happened to me and that's why they brought the filtration masks for us; so we wouldn't breath in the chemicals. They also took a few samples of the 'moon dust' on the floor of the temple while down there and ran chemical analysis.
John, you'd be interested in their findings... there were traces of  classical LSD-like psychedelics but also traces of opioids, ketamine, methoxetamine (MXE), phencyclidine (PCP), dextromethorphan (DXM), and nitrous oxide, all dissociatives. Now, who was an expert in pharmacology, experimented with psychedelics to expand their consciousness and knew about the underground temple? If you haven't guessed correctly by now, you haven't been paying much attention, have you?

View user profile

173 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:22 pm

J.Howey

Admin
The XUAL Community...You reckon they used the temple as its drugs lab?
But didn't they already have a lab built on the site (as mentioned in Cassin's planning document)? Maybe it was their storage facility for the drugs? Good bit of sleuthing by your friends by the way. Most impressive!
I've got the next chapter of my history of the XUAL Community up on scribd (https://www.scribd.com/document/324785948/Chaper-Two), if you want to read it and give feedback, that would be appreciated.

Last edited by J.Howey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

174 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:32 pm

Maybe you should mention the drugs in your book?

View user profile

175 Re: The Mystery starts here! on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:34 pm

J.Howey

Admin
I will, Frank, I will....just haven't gotten that far yet in the book.

Last edited by J.Howey on Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum